House of Travel Reaps Rewards of A/B Testing
House of Travel (HOT) has been helping Kiwis see the world for almost 30 years and is one of New Zealand’s most successful providers of travel experiences. House of Travel is also a leader in travel technology, offering an award winning website allowing users to compare and book airline flights and holidays in an instant and now offers the HOT travel app which gives you access to all your travel requirements, wherever and whenever you need.
Customer Led A/B Testing Program
House of Travel partnered with FIRST for Conversion Rate Optimisation to:
- Improve user experience
- Identify and eliminate 'friction points'
- Increase revenue
With House of Travel realising that to maximise sales and ROI, continual effort and focus on improving the on-site user experience and conversion needs to work in conjunction with advertising and marketing efforts, FIRST initiated a program of work. This was geared towards encouraging more site visitors to book with House of Travel over competing brands and minimising unnecessary drop off points.
FIRST conducted a series of quantitative and qualitative research to ascertain how actual users interact with the website and to uncover opportunities for potential improvement and A/B testing candidates. This included some of the following:
- User testing - allowed visitors to show us their experience, where we could pick up on issues and insights we weren't aware of
- Crazy Egg (heat mapping and form analytics) - to provide more context on how users were engaging with particular pages on the site
- Qualaroo (customer surveys) - to prompt visitors to tell us why they're there and how their experience is going
- Surveying the HOT call centre - gathered data from call centre and stores to identify common complaints
- and others
The research output provided insights into the testing program and the development tests that were run through Optimizely (A/B testing technology). Some of the results across a variety of tests included:
"FIRST have delivered invaluable conversion improvements across our site and we have already implemented various recommendations validated through A/B testing to enhance our visitor's user experience and assist online booking process to increase revenue.
We value FIRST's partnership and input in helping us lead the way for delivering the best travel experiences for our customers."
Analytics & SEO Manager
House of Travel
DOWNLOAD THE FULL CASE STUDY HERE >>