Which New Zealand gift providers are maximising their market share online?
Find out which gift providers are taking the lead in organic search and how they’re doing it.
FIRST has investigated the organic search engine rankings for NZ consumer searches focused on gifts, utilising FIRST’s Ranking Based Reach (RBR) analysis framework. In addition, a consumer survey was carried out to discover what is most important for Kiwis wishing to purchase gifts online.
In this Gifts Online Industry Report we discovered:
- In our survey, we revealed that nearly 3 out of 4 Kiwis have ordered a gift online. Additionally, important factors for ordering gifts online include quality of the gift, money back guarantee and the price/offer/specials. These point to the need and urgency for gift providers to create online brand awareness and effectively promote their products to online customers.
- Currently, Not Socks Gifts stands out in the search landscape, capturing a big proportion of the demand thanks to prominent organic search presence.
- Majority of the analysed gift providers have low RBR scores, below 10%. There is significant opportunity for these companies to improve their RBR or search engine reach – for important and popular keywords in organic search.
- Popular search phrases are missing from most sites and in most cases very little is being done with organic search. By improving their RBR score, they will be able to seize opportunities to boost online sales revenues.
- A comprehensive and data-driven digital strategy that integrates both organic and paid search should be a key customer acquisition and revenue driver for gift providers.
FIRST uses its bespoke metric called RBR (Ranking Based Reach) to estimate how well each company is ranking in search engines. RBR provides a simple way to compare a website’s search engine rankings with its competitors. RBR is an estimate of the percentage of available search traffic a website will receive for a set of phrases – this gives the sites share of search or reach. It is weighted based on the popularity of each search phrase and the relative click through rate (CTR) of each ranking position.
Websites included in this gifts online industry report comparison: